Around the League: Week of January 30, 2012
Around the League: January 30, 2012 – February 5, 2012
For the remainder of the off season, we will provide you with a quick trip around MLB to recap what has happened in the past week, thanks for following.
Monday, January 30, 2012
- Victor Martinez had micro-fracture surgery to repair the medial and lateral meniscus in his left knee. He expects to have ACL surgery in six-to-eight weeks, officially ending his 2011 season before it started.
- Pat Burrell retired at the age of 35 due to chronic foot injury.
- Manager Ron Washington received a two-year extension through 2014.
- Orioles sign RHP Pat Neshek, C Ronny Paulino, and 17 year old LHP Seong-Min Kim to minor league contracts.
- Brewers sign former Cub outfielder Corey Patterson to a minor league contract.
- Yankees sign RHP Manny Delcarmen to a minor league contract
Tuesday, January 31, 2012
- Diamondbacks avoid arbitration with C Miguel Montero(1 yr. $5.9MM), Ryan Roberts (1 yr. $2.0125MM)
- Phillies sign RHP Chad Qualls (1 yr. $1.15MM). The Cubs were interested in Qualls as well.
- Yankees hire former Cubs GM Jim Hendry as a special assignment scout.
- Astros sign Livan Hernandez to a minor league deal.
- Padres avoid arbitration with RHP Dustin Moseley (1 yr. $2.0125MM).
- Jon Heyman hears that Davey Johnson wants RF Bryce Harper to start the season as Nationals.
Wednesday, February 1, 2012
- White Sox sign 1B Dan Johnson to a minor league deal.
- Pirates sign former RHP Juan Cruz to a minor league deal.
- Nationals sign RHP Chard Durbin to a minor league deal.
- Padres sign RHP Micah Owings (1 yr. $1MM)
- Mariners sign INF Carlos Guillen to a minor league deal.
- Orioles sign LHP Casey Fossum to a minor league deal.
Thursday, February 2, 2012
- Indians avoid arbitration with LHP Rafael Perez (1 yr. $2.005MM plus incentives).
- Nationals beat LHP Lannan in arbitration (1 yr. $5 MM) and are actively looking to deal him.
- Nationals agree to sign RHP Edwin Jackson (1 yr. $11MM plus incentives).
Friday, February 3, 2012
- Indians sign 1B Casey Kotchman (1 yr. $3MM)
- Rockies agree on a one-year extension with RHP Matt Belisle.
- Pirates signed LHP Brian Tallet.
- Orioles release RHP Rick VandenHurk.
- Brewers avoid arbitration with RHP Shaun Marcum (1 yr. $7.725MM).
- The Rays beat RHP Jeff Niemann in arbitration (1 yr. 2.75MM).
- Dodgers sign RHP Todd Coffey to a one-year deal with a club option for 2013.
- After having a relapse with alcohol OF Josh Hamilton and the Rangers won’t discuss contract extension at this time.
Saturday, February 4, 2012
- Manny Ramirez appears to be deciding between the Orioles, Blue Jays, and A’s.
- According to Peter Gammons the A’s are evaluating Magglio Ordonez for a spring tryout.
- Cardinals close to signing INF Alex Cora to a minor league contract.
Sunday, February 5, 2012
- Red Sox avoid arbitration with RHP Alfredo Aceves (1 yr. $1.2MM).
- Brad Penny signs with Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks of Nippon Professional Baseball.
– Mark Sorrentino