Some Good Signs in Blowout Loss
The day got off to a bettar than decent start with Soriano blasting his third homerun of the spring season, and Chris Volstad working three spotless innings. Kerry Wood also made his spring debut and was solid, that was about the extent of the good portion of the day as the wheels fell off shortly there after. Carlops Marmol was touched up, big time. He faced seven hitters on the day, five of them reached base, and four of them scored. Something positive or negative that can be taken away from that depending on how you look at it was Marmol only hit one batter and walked no one. He gave up four hits including a three run blast to rising prospect Dustin Ackley, one outing is not cause for concern, but it is a shock to the system for sure.
It was probably time for the Cubs bats to cool down, they weren’t shut down completely, but it is the first game this year that the Cubs did not have more than 13 hits. Again, it was probably time for that, go get em tomorrow.
W: League (1-0) L: Marmol (0-1) SV: None
- BATTING: 2B – Liddi (1), Smoak (1); HR - Ackley (1), Quiroz (1); RBI - Kawasaki (4), Ackley 3 (3), Peguero (5), Liddi 2 (2), Ford (2), Quiroz 2 (2)
- Team RISP: 6-for-13; Team LOB: 9
- BASERUNNING: SB - Kawasaki 2 (2), Ford (1), Olivo (1)
- FIELDING; E – Wilhelmsen (1, throw), Kawasaki (1, throw)
- BATTING: 2B – Baker (2) HR – Soriano (3); RBI - Soriano (4), Tolbert (1)
- Team RISP: 2-for-10; Team LOB: 9
- BASERUNNING: SB - Stewart (1), Lake (1)
- FIELDING; E – Vitters (1, throw)
Bring on the South siders. The Cubs travel to Glendale to play their crosstown rivals, the White Sox, at 2:05 p.m. CT. The game will be on WGN TV, but it will be the White Sox broadcasters handling the call, so if you want the North Side perspective, listen to Len Kasper on Cubs.com. Travis Wood will make his second appearance, his first Spring start, also scheduled to pitch are Randy Wells and Rodrigo Lopez. All three pitchers are competing for two spots in the rotation. (Via Carrie Muskat)
- Enjoy Sveum discussing the cubs baserunning, aggressivenss, and effort so far this Spring here.
- Sveum talks to Harold Reynolds about the Cubs Way and expectations here.
- Volstad talks about becomming a Cub here.
Thanks for reading