Mike Olt Powers Cubs to Victory
For the second straight afternoon the Cubs showcased solid pitching, and big power, the result? Two straight wins.
At the Plate:
- Anthony Rizzo went 2-for-3 with a double, and two runs scored. Both hits came off left Tommy Milone, a good sign.
- Justin Ruggiano went 2-for-2 with his first home run of the spring, three RBI’s, a walk, and a run scored.
- Nate Schierholtz started in the DH spot today and went 2-for-3 with a double.
- Mike Olt came up huge today in his only at bat. Olt hit a two-run pinch hit home run in the 8th to give the Cubs a three run lead.
On the Mound:
- Kyle Hendricks made his spring debut and struggled with his control but was able to work out of trouble. Hendricks worked two innings, giving up one run, on one hit, while walking three, and striking out two.
- Carlos Pimentel was outstanding this afternoon as he worked two scoreless innings giving up one hit, while walking two, and striking out two.
- Jonathan Sanchez who is vying for a spot out of the bullpen was roughed up in this one. Sanchez worked two innings giving up two runs on four hits while walking one, and striking out one.
- Neil Ramirez, and Zac Rosscup each worked a scoreless inning in relief with Rosscup picking up the win.
- Brian Schlitter worked the ninth for his first save of the spring, but it wasn’t without issues. Thanks to a couple of errors, including one by Schlitter, the A’s threatened to tie things up. Schlitter worked one inning giving up one run, unearned, on two hits while striking out one.