Results tagged ‘ Cubs Beat Cardinals ’
It’s only May 6th, feeling okay? This series has been a roller coaster of emotions, and tonight we can all breathe a little easier as the Cubs just barely hung on to beat the Cardinals 6-5. Both teams scored in alternating innings until the eighth when they both pushed across a run. Jon Lester didn’t do himself any favors as he made an error which led to an unearned run, which was not the only unearned run of the night. The Cardinals got two more after a two out error by Addison Russell, but Lester battled all night. The newest ace of the Cubs was able to work through seven strong innings before watching the bullpen shut the door, I wouldn’t say they slammed it, they shut it quietly. Nice to be out from under that losing streak, and the Cubs can now go for the split tomorrow afternoon.
At the Plate:
- Chris Coghlan was plugged into the two hole tonight, he did his job by getting on base, he didn’t have any hits but he walked twice.
- Anthony Rizzo is hunting down the MVP, he was 2-for-4 with his fifth dinger of the year, three RBI’s, and a run scored.
- Kris Bryant continues to produce, he was 2-for-4 with a double, an RBI, and two runs scored.
- Jorge Soler seems to be coming out of his slump, he was 2-for-4 with an RBI in the win.
- Dexter Fowler, Starlin Castro, David Ross, and Addison Russell all chipped in with a hit.
On the Mound:
- Jon Lester was gritty tonight, he worked seven innings, giving up four runs, one earned, on seven hits while walking two, and striking out six.
- Pedro Strop had another shaky outing, he worked one inning, giving up one run on one hit while walking one.
- Hector Rondon walked the tightrope as well, he worked a scoreless ninth for his sixth save of the year. He surrendered one hit while walking one, and getting one huge strikeout.
On an evening that seemed like the “same old night” at Wrigley, the Cubs had a breakthrough. After getting dominated for 8 straight innings by Cardinals starter Jaime Garcia, the Cubs took three weeks worth of frustration out on Cardinals closer Jason Motte. A combination of outstanding at bats, and a clutch base hit led to the Cubs first walk off win of the season. Full recap and highlights after the jump.
Okay, I’m sure the Cardinals will live, they walk away from today’s game with a loss but they also got a rather shiny ring to commemorate their World Championship last year that the Cubs had a huge hand in. Today, the Cubs got a small piece of revenge beating the Cardinals 9-5 at a soggy Busch Stadium in St. Louis. Adam Wainwright, who is returning from Tommy John this season was beat for the second time this year, while Jeff Samardzija earned his second win in as many starts for the Cubs. While the Cubs won by four runs it really could have been much more as it was a tale of two games.