Results tagged ‘ Gerrit Cole ’
The Cubs have all of a sudden found some clutch hitting, and that is leading to some exciting baseball, and wins on the Northside. One night after scoring four times with two outs, the Cubs pushed six across after two outs for good measure. Going back to Sunday the Cubs have had thirteen two out RBI’s, THIRTEEN. So it really is not a surprise that the Cubs have won four straight games, clutch is good, clutch is productive. Travis Wood didn’t need much help in this one as he picked up his second win of the season, he was stellar over seven innings. The Cubs will go for the sweep tomorrow night against Pittsburgh’s ace, Gerrit Cole.
At the Plate:
- Dexter Fowler is scorching hot right now, he went 3-for-4 with two RBI’s, and a stolen base.
- Kris Bryant came up with another big hit tonight, he was 1-for-4 with a walk, a stolen base, and an RBI.
- Starlin Castro, have a night, he was 3-for-5 with an RBI, a stolen base, and two runs scored.
- Junior Lake made a splash (heh) in his return, he was 2-for-5 with a double, an RBI, and a run scored.
- Welington Castillo, Chris Coghlan, and Addison Russell all had one hit in the win. Russell added an RBI, a walk, and a run scored.
On the Mound:
- Travis Wood got the start, and picked up his second win of the year. Wood worked seven innings, giving up two runs on five hits while walking none, and striking out nine.
- Zac Rosscup and Jason Motte each worked a scoreless inning to secure the win.
Fun fact, the Cubs had five stolen bases on the night, they now have twenty-five on the year, that leads all of baseball.
Both the Cubs and Pirates head into a three game series on the Northside with some momentum. The Cubs are coming off an exciting, rain shortened series in Cincinnati where they took both games, one of which was another come back victory. After taking the last two games of the series against the Cubs, the Pirates swept the Diamondbacks this weekend and have won their last five games. It’s a battle for second place as the Cubs (10-7) and the Pirates (11–8) are both two games back of the Cardinals in the Central.
- Monday, April 27, 2015 – 7:05 PM CST – CSN Chicago
- Tuesday, April 28, 2015 – 7:05 PM CST – WPWR 50
- Wednesday, April 29, 2015 – 7:05 PM CST – CSN Chicago
- Game One: Jason Hammel (1-1, 5.19) vs. Vance Worley (2-1, 4.00)
- Game Two: Travis Wood (1-1, 3.24) vs. Jeff Locke (2-0, 3.32)
- Game Three: Kyle Hendricks (0-0, 5.74) vs. Gerrit Cole (3-0, 2.19)
Who is Hot:
- Pirates: Noted Cub killer Neil Walker is apparently not just killing the Cubs lately, he’s scorching hot. Over his last seven games, the Pirates second baseman is hitting .393 (11-for-28) with five doubles, and five RBI’s.
- Cubs: There are a lot of good first basemen in the National League, Anthony Rizzo might be the best. Over his last seven games, Rizzo is hitting .455 (10-for-22) with two doubles, a dinger, two RBI’s, four walks, and one strikeout.
Who is Not:
- Pirates: I’m not sure I want to mention this, because you know it won’t last. Andrew McCutchen is hitting .143 (3-for-21) over his last seven games with one double, and seven strikeouts.
- Cubs: It’s probably not easy to be a 21 year old in the Majors, Addison Russell is proving that. In his first five games he’s hitting .136 (3-for-22) with two doubles, four RBI’s, and twelve strikeouts.
** Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL **
Tuesday, April 8, 2014 – 7:05 PM CST
(TV: CSN) (RADIO: WGN 720)
Wednesday, April 9, 2014 – 7:05 PM CST
(TV: WGN) (RADIO: WGN 720)
Thursday, April 10, 2014 – 1:20 PM CST
(TV: WGN, MLBN) (RADIO: WGN 720)
** SERIES VITALS **
** PITCHING MATCHUPS **
Morton (Career vs. Cubs) (2 – 4; 4.36 ERA, 10 appearance, 10 starts)
Jackson (Career vs. Pirates) (3 – 3; 5.36 ERA, 8 appearances, 8 starts)
Rodriguez (Career vs. Cubs) (9 – 8; 3.63 ERA, 25 appearances, 25 starts)
Hammel (Career vs. Pirates) (3 – 1; 3.62 ERA, 5 appearances, 4 starts)
Cole (Career vs. Cubs) (2 – 0; 2.08 ERA, 2 appearances, 2 starts)
Wood (Career vs. Pirates) (4 – 5; 3.35 ERA, 10 appearances, 9 starts)