Results tagged ‘ Javier Baez home run ’
Yeah, slop-fest. I wasn’t quite sure how to spell that in the title, but it seemed appropriate given that this was, indeed, a slop-fest. The Cubs only had one error on the day, but the Rockies really messed things up and had five, yet still won the game. But the news of the day, as it is almost every day, is Javier Baez showing off his unfathomable power, everyone is really excited.
At the Plate:
- Josh Vitters, hello. Vitters entered the game in the sixth and ended the day going 2-for-2 with a run scored, and a dropped fly ball, filling up the score sheet.
- Javier Baez (!), Baez went 1-for-3 with his second home run of the spring season, an opposite field shot which continued to fuel the inter-webs desire for him to start with the Cubs… sorry, won’t happen, hooray team control!
- George Kottaras has the backup catching spot locked down in my opinion, not only because we share the first name. Kottaras was 1-for-2 with his first home run of the season, which immediately followed Baez’s shot.
On the Mound:
- Jeff Samardzija got the start today and was roughed up a bit, but was able to escape with a no decision. Shark went three innings giving up three runs on four hits while walking one, and striking out one.
- Jose Veras, the new Cubs closer, worked a scoreless inning, which was a nice rebound after his not so great debut.
- Pedro Strop also worked a scoreless inning, and didn’t walk or strikeout anyone, madness.
- Chris Rusin was having a pretty solid outing until he lost command in the fateful seventh inning. Rusin worked 2.2 innings giving up three runs on three hits while walking two, and striking out one.
- Armando Rivero continues his push to make the Cubs bullpen with another solid outing, but he did have some trouble to work out of. Rivero worked a scoreless inning giving up three hits while striking out one.
Thanks to Brett at Bleacher Nation for the video
Javier Baez is hitting home runs at a frantic pace, he just hit his 9th home run of the season for the Smokies, that gives him 26 for 2013 (Daytona and Tennessee)… it’s July 28th. Enjoy the video below, thanks to the Smokies for sharing it.