Results tagged ‘ Kyle Schwarber ’
The task facing the Daytona Cubs offense was a tall one coming into game one, Matt Boyd had been lights out for Dunedin in 90 innings of work this year. Not tonight. The D-Cubs torched Boyd for seven runs over the first 3.1 innings en route to an 11-1 laugher.
At the Plate:
- Kyle Schwarber was 1-for-5, but it was a big one, a two-0ut grand slam in the fourth inning. He finished with four RBI’s, and one run scored.
- Dan Vogelbach had a huge game, he went 2-for-5 with a double, a home run, two RBI’s, and two runs scored.
- Billy McKinney hasn’t slowed down all year, he went 2-for-4 with a double, and two runs scored in the win.
- Willson Contreras was solid behind the plate, and at the plate, he went 3-for-4 with an RBI, and three runs scored.
- Bijan Rademacher was also productive from the bottom of the order, he went 3-for-3 with three RBI’s.
On the Mound:
- Rob Zastrynzy got the start, and was brilliant in picking up the victory. Zastrynzy worked six innings, giving up one run on five hits, while walking one, and striking out four.
- The D-Cubs pen worked three scoreless innings, but struggled with their command. Starling Peralta worked an inning while walking two, and striking out one. Gerardo Concepcion worked an inning while walking three (See?), and Jose Rosario mopped things up, working an inning while giving up two hits.
Game two is tomorrow night, the D-Cubs have a chance to make quick work of the best of three series.
If I would have told you that the Daytona Cubs would be participating in the FSL Playoffs this year you would have called me crazy, and probably kicked me a couple times. But here we are, after a horrendous start to the season, the D-Cubs torched the FSL North in the second half of the season, going 41-27 thanks to some key additions to their lineup. The two additions I’m thinking of are Kyle Schwarber (2014 1st round pick), and Billy McKinney who was acquired from Oakland in the Samardzija/Hammel deal in July.
Schwarber played in 44 games for Daytona this year, he hit .302 with ten homers, and twenty-eight RBI’s while OPS’ing at a .952 clip. Schwarber also knows how to get on base, he walked twenty-six times against only thirty-eight strikeouts.
McKinney had a similar season with Daytona, minus the power. McKinney played in 51 games with Daytona, he hit .301 with twelve doubles, four triples, one homer, and thirty-six RBI’s. Much like Schwarber, McKinney gets on base with the best of them, he walked twenty-five times against forty-two strikeouts, eerily similar to Schwarber.
Game one is tomorrow night in Daytona, and the Cubs need to take game one before the best of three series shifts to Dunedin. Daytona sends Rob Zastrynzy to the mound in game one, Z was 4-6 with a 4.66 ERA with Daytona this year. A stiff test awaits the D-Cubs lineup as Dunedin will go to Matt Boyd who has been lights out this year, he went 5-3 with a 1.39 ERA this season.
Check back for game updates, recaps, etc. Please don’t rain.
FSL North Championship Series Schedule
Game 1 – Tuesday, September 2, 7:05 p.m. – Radiology Associates Field at Jackie Robinson Ballpark
Game 2 – Wednesday, September 3, 6:30 p.m. – Florida Auto Exchange Stadium
Game 3 – Thursday, September 4, 6:30 p.m. – Florida Auto Exchange Stadium (If Necessary)
Get drafted. √
Destroy baseball at Boise. √
Get promoted to Kane County. √
Destroy baseball at Kane County. √
Get promoted to Daytona. √
Boom! Kyle Schwarber has been a professional baseball player for about a month, and all he has done is hit. He started with the Boise Hawks, he played five games there and hit .600 with four home runs, and ten RBI’s in twenty-four plate appearances. Then came Kane County, Schwarber played in twenty-two games hitting .380 with four home runs, and fifteen RBI’s in ninety-two plate appearances.
The grand totals so far? .424 average (42-for-99), eight home runs, twenty-five RBI’s, nine doubles, one triple, thirteen walks, eighteen strikeouts, and an OPS of just 1.278.
As you can see by the tweet above, Schwarber is moving on from Kane County, and the report is that he is heading to High A Daytona. That is excellent news as this is the second straight season that the Cubs first round pick will see the high A level, Kris Bryant did it last year.
This is very good news, and exciting as well. Good luck, Kyle!