Results tagged ‘ MLB ’
It was still exciting, it was cool to get the national exposure on opening night, it sucked getting shut out, it is what it is. Jon Lester struggled with his command early and often, and the Cubs couldn’t find a clutch hit all night in a 3-0 loss to the Cardinals. A little more about not being clutch, the Cubs were 0-for-13 with runners in scoring position tonight, no bueno. Conversely the Cardinals went 3-got-14 and that was the difference. Wainwright was his usual self, but had trouble with his breaking pitches early on which drove up his pitch count. Waino was able to work his way through six innings to get the win. Lester took the loss in this one as he wasn’t able to escape the 5th inning, he gave up three runs on eight hits, while walking two, and striking out five.
One of the bright spots of the evening was the Cubs bullpen, Phil Coke, Jason Motte, Neil Ramirez, Pedro Strop, and Hector Rondon combined to work 4.2 scoreless inning, giving up two hits while waking two, and striking out five. I was happy with the at bats the Cubs players had tonight, not many of them were thrown away, they battled. You’re not going to face a pitcher the caliber of Wainwright every night , tip you cap and go take your frustrations out on Lance Lynn on Tuesday Night. One down, one hundred and sixty one to go, I still think there will be more good than bad, but can someone kidnap Heyward and send him to the Indians or something? All in all I think the new look/unfinished Wrigley held up well, I’m sure we will hear some horror stories from fans tomorrow, but on the surface it looked good.
Around the League: January 30, 2012 – February 5, 2012
For the remainder of the off season, we will provide you with a quick trip around MLB to recap what has happened in the past week, thanks for following.
Monday, January 30, 2012
- Victor Martinez had micro-fracture surgery to repair the medial and lateral meniscus in his left knee. He expects to have ACL surgery in six-to-eight weeks, officially ending his 2011 season before it started.
- Pat Burrell retired at the age of 35 due to chronic foot injury.
- Manager Ron Washington received a two-year extension through 2014.
- Orioles sign RHP Pat Neshek, C Ronny Paulino, and 17 year old LHP Seong-Min Kim to minor league contracts.
- Brewers sign former Cub outfielder Corey Patterson to a minor league contract.
- Yankees sign RHP Manny Delcarmen to a minor league contract
Hello and welcome to our brand new blog, Born on Third.
First and foremost, thanks for stopping by, this introductory post will explain a little about what we expect for the blog, and what kind of features you, the reader, can expect.
- Frequent Opinion Pieces
- Cubs Game Recaps
- Series Previews/Recaps
- Weekly Look Around MLB (Standings, Stats, etc.)
- Weekly Minor League Reports (Cubs Affiliates)
- Cubs Prospect Watch
- This Day in Cubs History
- Much, Much More
Thanks again for stopping by, I hope this will be as enjoyable for you as it is for us. Go Cubs!
– George Cotugno & Mark Sorrentino