Results tagged ‘ Phil Bickford ’
Welcome to deadline day, the MLB non waiver deadline is 3:00 PM CST, so we are pretty much right up against it now. The Cubs have already made their big splash in acquiring Aroldis Chapman from the Yankees for Gleyber Torres among others. Indications are that the Cubs are done, but you never know with how things shake out towards the end of the day. Keep it here for updates from around the league all day!
7:03 AM — Jay Bruce is a popular guy right about now. Multiple reports from sources around baseball have mentioned a handful of teams as a possible destination for Bruce today. Bob Nightengale mentions that the Reds have found a match for Bruce, he goes on to identify that the Dodgers are not that team, and the Giants and Mets seem to be the likely destination.
Jon Heyman also mentions those two teams as possible spots for Bruce, as well as the Indians.
Ken Rosenthal also brings up the Giants, Dodgers, and Mets but throws the Rangers and Blue Jays into the mix as well. If I had to guess, I would think that the Giants are going to go all in for Bruce especially after missing out on Mark Melancon. They need to make an impact, and have been struggling since the all-star break, seeing their lead in the NL West shrink to just two games.
7:13 AM — The Cubs still could be in the market for another arm, and there have been links to the Tampa Bay Rays as of late. I know everyone wants Chris Archer, but it seems the most likely guy would be Matt Moore. Bruce Miles chimed in earlier on twitter about just this thing. Another team that will be hard after Matt Moore is the San Francisco Giants, see the note above about needing to make a move to bolster their lineup.
7:25 AM — The Chris Sale saga continues to unfold, or doesn’t I guess. I still don’t think the White Sox have the mentality needed to pull a deal like this off. Two teams in particular have a a bounty of prospects lined up ready to be shipped to Chicago, the Rangers, and the Red Sox. There are plenty of reasons for the White Sox to hang on to Sale, he’s an ace, he’s controllable (in terms of contract), he’s relatively cheap, etc. The reason the Sox would think about moving him is as their GM has said, they are mired in mediocrity, and this would be a tremendous jump start to their rebuilding process that they have not committed to for the last decade or so.
7:48 AM — Ken Rosenthal reports this morning that the Cubs are still looking for that controllable arm, and do not want to overpay for a left-handed hitting outfielder. Still expecting Soler back soon, and that would provide a lift, the obvious name that Ken is hinting at is Josh Reddick.
8:18 AM — Jon Morosi reports this morning that the Mets are still engaged with the Reds about Bruce.
9:01 AM — Jeff Passan jumps into the fray with some big news regarding Jay Bruce, he sees the Mets as the favorites to land Bruce. The usual suspects are still there in the Rangers and the Giants, I could definitely seeing a team get desperate and overpay for the left handed slugger.
9:06 AM — Bob Dutton is reporting on twitter that the Mariners are “closing in” on a deal to get Zack Cozart from the Reds. He also cautions that a deal is not done yet, but there appears to be smoke building on this one.
9:14 AM — Jerry Crasnick is reporting that the Brewers might have to “lower their expectations” to get a deal done today. I’ll say, after dealing Lucroy to the Indians yesterday, and having Lucroy veto the trade is a blow to the Brewers and their leverage to get a deal done. If anything it could hurt the return and now Crasnick is hinting at just that, Brewers can’t be happy.
9:31 AM — Chris Cotillo now reporting that the Giants are long shots to land Jay Bruce. Bob Nightengale mentions that the Red Sox had discussions with the White Sox last night about Chris Sale. If Sale is moved (see my note above), the Red Sox or Dodgers are the likely landing spot. Those teams are so stacked when it comes to the minor league system, super interested to see what kind of deals they are putting together.
10:47 AM — The Red Sox are leading the charge for Chris Sale per Rosenthal, not really sure how serious that charge is, but it seems likely that if Sale is traded that it will be to the Red Sox.
10:52 AM — Mark Gonzales is reporting that Brian Matusz will indeed be released by the Cubs today, opens a spot if the Cubs want to make a deal today. Not sure the two are related, but there is that option now.
11:35 AM — Buster Olney finally has some news for us today, the Mets are “on the verge” of acquiring Jay Bruce from the Reds. Tim Brown adds to the report saying that Brandon Nimmo will be part of the package going back to the Reds.
11:42 AM — Rosenthal reports that Rich Hill and the A’s could not come to terms on an extension, the thought is that Hill will be traded. The Cubs have had their on Hill a little bit.
I will provide some analysis, but post all picks as well. Obviously I will have much more on the Cubs picks tonight and in the coming days, but it’s time for the draft. Just keep refreshing the page for updates!
6. Miami Marlins – Colin Moran; 3B; University of North Carolina
7. Boston Red Sox – Trey Ball; LHP; New Castle HS (Ind.)
8. Kansas City Royals – Hunter Dozier; SS; Stephen F. Austin
9. Pittsburgh Pirates – Austin Meadows; OF; Grayson HS (GA)
10. Toronto Blue Jays – Phil Bickford; RHP; Oaks Christian HS (CA)
11. New York Mets – Dominic Smith; 1B; Serra HS (CA)
12. Seattle Mariners – D.J. Peterson; 3B; New Mexico University
13. San Diego Padres – Hunter Renfroe; OF; Mississippi State
14. Pittsburgh Pirates – Reese McGuire; C; Kentwood HS (WA)
15. Arizona Diamondbacks – Braden Shipley; RHP; University of Nevada
16. Philadelphia Phillies – J.P. Crawford; SS; Lakewood HS (CA)
17. Chicago White Sox – Tim Anderson; SS; East Central CC
18 – Los Angeles Dodgers – Chris Anderson; RHP; Jacksonville University
19. St. Louis Cardinals – Marco Gonzales; LHP; Gonzaga
20. Detroit Tigers – Jonathan Crawford; RHP; Florida
21. Tampa Bay Rays – Nick Ciuffo; C; Lexington HS (SC)
22. Baltimore Orioles – Hunter Harvey, RHP, Bandys HS (NC)
23. Texas Rangers – Alex Gonzalez; RHP; Oral Roberts
24. Oakland Athletics – Billy McKinney; CF; Plano West Sr. HS (TX)
25. San Francisco Giants – Christian Arroyo; C; Hernando HS (FL)
26. New York Yankees – Eric Jagielo; 3B; Notre Dame
27. Cincinnati Reds – Phillip Ervin; OF; Samford University
28. St. Louis Cardinals – Rob Kaminsky; LHP; St. Joseph Regional
29. Tampa Bay Rays – Ryne Stanek; RHP; Arkansas
30. Texas Rangers – Travis Demeritte; SS; Winder-Barrow HS (GA)
31. Atlanta Braves – Jason Hursh; RHP; Oklahoma State
32. New York Yankees – Aaron Judge; OF; Fresno State
33. New York Yankees – Ian Clarkin; LHP; Madison HS (CA)
COMPETITIVE BALANCE ROUND A
34. Kansas City Royals – Sean Manaea; LHP; Indiana State
35. Miami Marlins – Matt Krook; LHP; St. Ignatius Prep (CA)
36. Arizona Diamondbacks – Aaron Blair; RHP; Marshall
37. Baltimore Orioles – Josh Hart; OF; Parkview HS (GA)
38. Cincinnati Reds – Michael Lorenzen; RHP; Cal State Fullerton
39. Detroit Tigers – Corey Knebel; RHP; Texas
40. Houston Astros – Andrew Thurman; RHP; University of California
41. Chicago Cubs – Rob Zastrynzy; LHP; Missouri
42. Colorado Rockies – Ryan McMahon; 3B; Mater Dei HS (CA)
43. Minnesota Twins – Ryan Eades; RHP; LSU
44. Miami Marlins – Trevor Williams; RHP; Arizona State
45. Boston Red Sox – Teddy Stankiewicz; RHP; Seminole State
46. Kansas City Royals – Cody Reed; LHP; Northwest Mississippi CC (MS)
47. Toronto Blue Jays – Clinton Hollon; RHP; Woodford County HS (KY)
48. New York Mets – Andrew Church; RHP; Basic HS (NV)
49. Seattle Mariners – Austin Wilson; OF; Stanford
50. San Diego Padres – Dustin Peterson; SS; Gilbert HS (AZ)
51. Pittsburgh Pirates – Blake Taylor; LHP; Dana Hills HS (CA)
52. Arizona Diamondbacks – Justin Williams; SS; Terrebonne HS (LA)
53. Philadelphia Phillies – Andrew Knapp; C; California
54. Milwaukee Brewers – Devin Williams; RHP; Hazelwood West HS (MO)
55. Chicago White Sox – Tyler Danish; RHP; Durant HS (FL)
56. Los Angeles Dodgers – Tom Windle; LHP; Minnesota
57. St. Louis Cardinals – Oscar Mercado; SS; Gaither HS (FL)
58. Detroit Tigers – Kevin Ziomek; LHP; Vanderbilt
59. Anaheim Angels – Hunter Green; LHP; Warren East HS (KY)
60. Tampa Bay Rays – Riley Unroe; SS; Desert Ridge HS (AZ)
61. Baltimore Orioles – Chance Sisco; C; Santiago HS (CA)
62. Texas Rangers – Akeem Bostick; RHP; West Florence HS (SC)
63. Oakland Athletics – Dillon Overton; LHP; Oklahoma
64. San Francisco Giants – Ryder Jones; 3B; Watauga HS (NC)
65. Atlanta Braves – Victor Caratini; C; Miami Dade CC South (FL)
66. New York Yankees – Gosuke, Katoh; 2B; Rancho Bernardo HS (CA)
67. Cincinnati Reds – Kevin Franklin; 3B; Gahr HS (CA)
68. Washington Nationals – Jake Johansen; RHP; Dallas Baptist
COMPETITIVE BALANCE ROUND B
69. San Diego Padres – Jordan Paroubeck; OF; Serra HS (CA)
70. Colorado Rockies – Alex Balog; RHP; University of San Francisco
71. Oakland Athletics – Chad Pinder; SS; Virginia Tech
72. Milwaukee Brewers – Tucker Neuhaus; SS; Wharton HA (FL)
73. Miami Marlins – Colby Suggs; RHP; Arkansas