Results tagged ‘ San Francisco Giants ’
Travis Wood will get the start today against Matt Cain and the first place Giants. The game is set to start at 1:20 on WGN. Here is a look at the Cubs lineup for today.
DeJesus – RF
Valbuena – 3B
Rizzo – 1B
Soriano – LF
Castro – SS
Clevenger – C
Jackson – CF
Barney – 2B
Wood – P
Time to play spoiler as the West Division leading Giants roll into town for a weekend series. Ever since the Giants got the news that Melky Cabrera was going to be suspended they have taken off, and now hold a four game lead over the Dodgers in a race for the Western Division crown. The Giants are getting it done with a balanced attack as they are right in the middle of the pack in runs scored and ERA in the National League. The Cubs are going to need to have a solid offensive approach against the Giants if they want to take this series. The Giants are a baseball team in every sense of the word, they play, and win as a team. If the Cubs can do the same thing, and have an approach like they did in the series finale against the Brewers they might be able to play spoiler. The team could look rather different come Saturday as the rosters will expand, Sveum has cautioned that there might only be six or so call ups, we’ll see, and of course keep you updated.
August 31, 2012 – September 2, 2012; Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
Here are this weekends pitching matchups.
Season Series: Giants lead series 4-0
Prediction: Giants sweep series 3-0
Thanks for reading,
Consider this horrible news for the San Francisco Giants and Major League Baseball. Today Melky Cabrera was suspended 50 games after testing positive for testosterone. Cabrera is having a tremendous season as he is second in the national league in hitting (.346). This season just went from feel good to nightmarish for the Giants and Cabrera as they only have 45 games remaining. I don’t think Giants fans are going to be very forgiving.
Thanks for reading,
The Cubs aren’t the only one who are going to be dealing today. Here are some of the latest happenings around the league. There will be plenty of updates as the day continues.
- It looks like Shane Victorino will be traded to the Dodgers. It sounds like Josh Lindblom would be going to the Phillies. Nothing official yet, but this means the Dodgers will not be going after Alfonso Soriano.
- UPDATE: It is officail The Philies have traded OF Shane Victorino to the Dodgers for relief pitcher Josh Lindblom and SP Ethan Martin.
- The D-Backs appear to be in the market for a big time starting pitcher. No names yet, but maybe they would be interested in Matt Garza?
- Although the Phillies have traded away Shane Victorino there are still reports they are talking to the Giants about Hunter Pence.
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence on his way to San Francisco for C/1B prospect Tommy Joseph. Nate Schierholtz is going to the Phillies as well, as does Seth Rosin.
- Padres are asking for a lot for Chase Headley, but a deal could still get done.
- Rangers looking to bolster bullpen. Possibly put Ogando back in the rotation and acquire another bullpen arm, possibly Broxton from KC.
- The Cardinals have acquired Edward Mujica for Zachary Cox.
- Marlins are close to sending Gaby Sanchez to Pirates for Gorkys Hernandez.
- UPDATE: According to Ken Rosenthal Gaby Sanchez to the Pirates is a done deal. This also includes a competitive balance pick going to the Marlins.
- Red Sox to acquire Craig Breslow for Matt Albers and Scott Podsednik.
- The Reds have traded for Jonathan Broxton. The Royals got AAA lefty Donnie Joseph and AA JC Sulbaran
- Casey McGehee traded to the Yankees for Chad Qualls.
This is what is out there right now, some deals may still be coming in, but I think that is it for now.
Cubs hit the road on Tuesday to face the San Francisco Giants in Scottsdale. Chris Volstad makes his second start looking to build on his first start of the Spring which was dominant. Here’s how the Cubs lineup today…